Saturday 28 June 2014

Ramadaan is here

Alhamdullilah(By the will of God) we made it to through another year and here we are again welcoming the auspicious month of Ramadaan. Ramadaan or Ramzaan as my family pronounces it is the 9th month of the islamic calendar and is one of the 5 pillars of Islam. The month requires muslims to observe a fast abstaining from food and drink from sunrise to sunset. Fasting is compulsary for all adult muslims(or those who have reached puberty), except those who are ill, travelling, pregnant, breastfeeding or going through mentrual bleeding.

Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection, improvement and increased devotion and worship. Muslims are expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam. The fast begins at dawn and ends at sunset. In addition to abstaining from eating and drinking, Muslims also increase restraint, such as abstaining from sexual relations and generally sinful speech and behavior. The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the soul by freeing it from harmful impurities. Ramadan also teaches Muslims how to better practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and compulsory charity .

My mother is in a panic as everyone is waiting rather impatiently for their orders of savouries and delectable sweet treats. Canal walk, and all othe malls I assume, is a nightmare with people shopping, stocking up on groceries and buying everything they could've done weeks ago(Sigh.) 

Although Im not proud of this, Ramadaan is the time my Quraan comes down and is actually read religiously and my scarves go on my head instead of just being wrapped around my neck. Its the time where I stop myself from sinning and go to mosque(which happens to be right opposite my house). The time where all muslims actually stand together as one and minimize conflict. The time when family politics are sometimes put aside and we all sit together at a table civilly. 

I took upon myself to have special ramadaan posts as often as I can as the month progresses.
Do keep reading.

Ramadaan Kareem to All Muslim's observing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Do leave a comment and let me know what you think. Be sure to leave your blogsites and ill be sure to check them out :)