Wednesday 7 May 2014

Elections 2014

Its been 20 years since the 1st democratic elections. OMG 20 years really? I had no idea but it could also be because im from the Born-free generation(although I was born in 1993, almost born free i would say). Politics and keeping up with current affairs has never been my forte. Its been 20 years? So what? Its been 20 years since The Lion King was released. Get your head wrapped around that.

But since I started studying Public Relations I now view the world and my beautiful country differently. Suddenly keeping up with current affairs, reading newspapers and following trends on social media has become more and more vital to me on a daily basis. So when I got the opportunity to vote I grabbed it with both hands. This year is proving to be a year of lots of 'Firsts for me. My very first time voting.

I remember nagging everyone I knew to go and register to vote after a friend of mine finally convinced me to as well. It made me feel so grown up. This morning when I woke up I felt terrible(Being a female has its ups and downs people keeping telling me) but knowing that I was going to vote got me really excited.I got dressed all in blue (50% because of subliminal messaging and 50% because I think I actually look good in blue). My mother, cousin and I headed to the voting station at Rylands High school and the line was surprisingly short. I expected a majorly long queue.Seeing people from different races together in one line, laughing and talking to each other was heart warming. The process started when my Id was scanned and I was given a number. Honestly all I could think of was "need to take a selfie...must take a selfie....selfie!!!" (Blame the blogger in me). When I entered the building my name got scratched off a list and I then had to move to another table to get my mark. Yaaaaaaay I dont even have to vote now. Moving on...I head to the next station. Really? Why is this such a process? I get my ballot sheets and proceed to the little cubicles allocated. When I open my ballot sheet im amazed at how many parties there actually are. Who are these people even? It took me about a minute to read all the names. I finally made my mark and sighed in relief feeling very happy with myself. As I head to the last point of the process where a very cute guy is standing waiting just for me to put my papers into the marked boxes, I struggle to get the papers in as its so super full. "Just force it in bokkie" he says coyly and winks and I leave the voting station with a smile bigger than it should be.

Overall it was an experiance to remember but I honestly thought it would feel more satisfying. I came. I voted. I made it.
Who are these people?
The closest I could get to a #2014Election selfie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Do leave a comment and let me know what you think. Be sure to leave your blogsites and ill be sure to check them out :)