Friday 31 January 2014

for mariam ...



Mariam Ebrahim (1990-2013) 

When I first met Mariam I immediately knew I was going to like her. She was my cousin’s best friend and after having our first conversation I could officially say she was my friend too. Yes that’s how it works!! Pssssssh.

Moving on… I loved everything about her. She always had this warm smile that made you feel like she was actually listening to you, like for that few minutes you mattered. She would always encourage me to do the weirdest things. And that’s what made me love her more. I didn’t really spend much time with her but when I did it was always amazing. She played the guitar like an angel. Once she even played me a tune from an Indian song just too see me excited. It was Epic!!
Mari-uhm or Mari Buffy was the kind of person you know you can always depend on. No matter what was happening in your life.  She had the aura around her that just makes any one smile. In fact she herself had one of the cutest smiles ever. It usually made her look naughty but adorable nonetheless. She was our go-to person for series and movies and a real Hookah kop. She made me try my first E-cig and was my form of defense when my cousin tried to yell at me for doing the wrong things. 

Mariam became part of our family as well. She was always there when we had family functions and every single family member knew who she was. Eventually people even started asking ‘where’s Mariam?’ when she was nowhere to be seen. For the time that I knew her, she always kept her promises and stayed true to her word. She was straight-forward. No beating around the bush. The way she walked, the way she talked, the way she gave ‘death stares at people that didn’t agree with her… everything about this amazing human being was well…amazing.
So today as we tell ourselves that you in a better place. It doesn’t stop us from missing you terribly.  I know for a fact that my cousin is having a really hard time but that I have this assurance that you are here with us…or even with me as I type this now…laughing at me getting all emotional. There are so many things that remind us of you every day. Anything British or red or whenever we see someone rocking a leather jacket, we always telling each other how you would’ve made it look cooler.
You were taken away from us too soon for me to tell you the impact you’ve made on the lives of me and my family and I didn’t really get the chance to say goodbye but I think I’ll save the formalities for when we meet again.

I was going to end with something cheesy so I closed my eyes, thought of you and saw you smiling and standing ready to give me a high-five… I figure that’s suffice buddy.
I hope you flying with the angels, friend.


We love you always and forever.

1 comment:

  1. and family you will always be...

    i find myself thinking that our birthday month is around the corner, and i still need to you a gift :( ...

    for the first time in over a decade im not out looking for the perfect gift, not teasing you a month in advance as you try to bribe me. This year there's no one doing the count down with me for my birthday...

    There's so much to say... but i'll definitely tell you in person when we see each other again, i look forward to super duper huge hug that's waiting for me, a Jewelsy hug lol, and an intense catch up like only we know how to do it... for now keep my floor in that castle of yours clean... handy andy and a lappie :D always does the trick :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. Do leave a comment and let me know what you think. Be sure to leave your blogsites and ill be sure to check them out :)